Tuesday, May 23, 2017

40k 8th Edition Release Date Announced

It is old news by now, but the 8th Edition of Warhammer 40,000 has been announced this morning UK time. The book will go on pre-order on June 3rd, with the book available in shops across the Imperium by June 17th.

In addition to the core rules, there are all of the expansions that go along with it. No less than five whole books of new army rules -- two for the Imperium and Xenos each and one for Chaos. Very impressive. That said, a part of me really wants to hold off purchasing these as I strongly suspect that they will be superseded with haste in the coming months.


In the words of Warhammer Community, "Accompanying the new box set and books are a range of gaming accessories for the new edition. These include new Tactical Objective cards, Command Dice, Wound Trackers, a flexible Combat Gauge and the most thematic set of Warhammer 40,000 objective markers we’ve ever made, including a mini-supply drop pod and a xenos bio-containment tank." I really like the sound of this.

Overall, I can see myself purchasing many of these new products.

However, I'm going to court some controversy next. I'm not so excited by the new Death Guard miniatures. To me, they look just a little bit too much on the wrong side of cartoonish I'm sorry to say. Yes, they are impressive. Yes, they are very well sculpted. And the paint jobs are fab. But overall, their proportions look a bit off to me. Maybe I'll get the sorcerer -- he looks about the best to my eye. The bloat drone is fine as well. I do like the Poxwalkers -- presumably the mortal remains twisted by Nurgle -- as well. But the main Death Guard Characters and marines less so. Particularly the guy with the big bell above his head. No thanks.

As for the Primes, I'm very curious about the ones with the jump packs -- have a close look at their shoes and their bolters for instance. What is going on there? I need a rotating model to get a better view of the rear of these models to figure it all out! I like the look of the hell blaster squad (armed with plasma guns / rifles / big plasma hell blasters) -- I think they would fit in nicely in a 30k army for true scale purposes myself. 


I will leave you now with an exclusive. A picture by no less than Gav Thorpe who kindly shared it on Twitter. This is what the new devastator primaris will allegedly look like!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries