Saturday, May 19, 2012

Cost of an Army in 2012


Inevitably, talk of price rises abound at this time of year.  So, I wanted to return to my own armies and see how much they'd cost to build up these days.  In 2010, I posted a costing of a 1500 points Death Guard / Plague Marine centric army.  Today, I want to return to that post to see how times have changed (and if I'd build it slightly differently).  I'll use UKP rather than AUD or USD in this analysis.


Daemon Prince -- a forge world plague ogryn (19 UKP) combined with dragon wings (6.15 UKP)

Dreadnought from Forge World -- 27 UKP (body), + 7.50 UKP (left arm), + 7.50 UKP (plasma cannon)

3 squads of 7 plague marines in rhinos. Assuming they're just basic chaos marines, that's 3 boxed sets (3 x 23 UKP) and 3 rhinos (3 x 20.50 UKP).

1 predator (31 UKP).

2 Vindicators (2 x 31 UKP).

Would I build it differently?  Perhaps some Forge world death guard bits, probably finecast plague marines (because bubbles in finecast don't truly matter for plague marines in my humble opinion), and of course, I'd be changing the army list around a bit ... based on the new codex of course (whenever it shows up).

The grand total for the above comes to 290.65.
This compares to 272.50 in September 2010.  That's an increase of 6.6% over 1.5 years.  I don't believe that my disposable income has scaled at the same rate as that though.  So, as with other folks in this hobby, I'll be more discerning about what I'm buying when the new chaos codex warps to us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tell me about it! I've just priced up the eldar army I'm going to be working on and the price is staggering.

Mind you, it doesn't help that everyone plays 1,750pts games when back in the day it was only 1,500pts.

The price of Fine Cast is what seems to do it.

On the flip side my High Elf fantasy army is comparatively cheap because it's all plastic. Okay, the plastic is more expensive but compared to when you needed regiments of 20 metal miniatures costing £4 each, it kind of works out alright.

But I have to say that I'm concerned about another price hike this June. Although I've decided that Eldar and High Elves are my final armies, then I'm done. Can't afford to keep changing armies anymore.

jabberjabber said...

Agreed, Adam.
Those daydreams of Dark Eldar and Tyranid armies are no more!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries