Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Shadow Sword: Part IV. Storm Lord Enabling

I want to get the most out of my Shadow Sword. To do this, I want to be able to configure it in multiple patterns: with many of the various side sponson options (etc.). But more significantly from a hobby point of view, I want to be able to configure it as both a Shadow Sword tank and a Storm Lord tank.

To be able to field the tank in both configurations, the critical piece of plastic that I needed to think about was the one that attaches either at the back of the main weapon housing (see picture to the left), or at the front of it. This bit is reversible. On one side, there is a metal-like standing platform for troopers to use stubber guns from the rear of the tank (in the Storm Lord configuration -- as seen in the upper left image), or when reversed it spaces the front of the hull and the main weapon housing (see image below).

My solution has been to magnetize this critical bit of plastic, along with the main weapon housing. The reversible bit has three magnets on it -- two one one end and one on the other end.
This arrangement provides a strong stable link for the reversible plastic bit at both ends of the main weapon housing. In addition, I also glued further magnets to the appropriate parts of the main hull (front and rear) to provide stability at both ends of the reversible bit.

I think this part of the Shadow Sword has been the trickiest to figure out so far. I've now only got the main weapons to take care of and some additional sponsons to build, ...and then I'm essentially done with the construction and ready to paint the beast.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook

Sequestered Industries